It’s critical to comprehend the procedures required to formally record your union, whether you’ve just gotten married or have plans for the future. The specific requirements for obtaining a marriage license vary by state, but they are all the same: both applicants must be in person, have full legal names ( both the bride and groom ) and their ages ( lower and over age 18 are permitted, depending on your state ), proof of residency ( such as an identity card, passport, or state/federal Id), and either birth certificate or divorce decree, if applicable.

After you say your vows, your priest signs the marriage certificate during the service. To receive your Extended certificate within five days of your marriage, you must present your completed permit to the city clerk’s office for a “records space” appointment that you reserved in advance.

The established state record of your wedding, which serves as proof that you are legally wed, is your relationship document. It contains details about the pair, such as their legal name, the date and location of the ceremony, and the festival celebrant. Numerous points, including submitting it to the Social security administration to modify your past brand or filing shared revenue profits, can be done with a certified copy of your union certification. It might be necessary for other legal papers and service as well as to get a driver’s license.